Units of measurement »
The EN Eurocodes are a series of 10 European Standards, EN [*]NoteEN means European Norms 1990-EN 1999, providing a common approach for the design of buildings and other civil engineering works and construction products. The Eurocode standards provide common structural design rules for everyday use for the design of whole structures and component products of both a traditional and an innovative nature. Unusual forms of construction (e.g. thermo-nuclear reactors, dams etc.) are not specifically covered and additional expert consideration will be required by the designer in such cases.
Eurocodes are classified as following.
- Eurocode 0 (ΕΝ1990, EC0): Basis of structural design
- Eurocode 1 (ΕΝ1991, EC1): Actions on structures
- Eurocode 2 (ΕΝ1992, EC2): Design of concrete structures
- Eurocode 3 (ΕΝ1993, EC3): Design of steel structures
- Eurocode 4 (ΕΝ1994, EC4): Design of composite structures (Steel, Concrete)
- Eurocode 5 (ΕΝ1995, EC5): Design of timber structures
- Eurocode 6 (ΕΝ1996, EC6): Design of masonry structures
- Eurocode 7 (ΕΝ1997, EC7): Geotechnical design
- Eurocode 8 (ΕΝ1998, EC8): Design of structures for earthquake resistance
- Eurocode 9 (ΕΝ1999, EC9): Design of aluminium structures
Eurocode 0 (EC0) is the basis of all Eurocodes, therefore the basis of EC2 and EC8, describes their logic and its knowledge is a prerequisite for the study of any other Eurocode. Particularly, it describes the principles and conditions for the safety, serviceability and durability of structures and is based on the limit state concept used in conjunction with a partial factor method.
Eurocode 2 applies to the design of buildings and civil engineering works in plain, reinforced and pre-stressed concrete.
Eurocode 8 applies to the design of buildings and civil engineering works in seismic regions (reinforced concrete, steel, composite steel-concrete, timber, masonry buildings).
The National Standards implementing Eurocodes will comprise the full text of the Eurocode, followed by National Annexes, which contains information on the Nationally Determined Parameters. Those parameters are open in the Eurocode for national choice.
In seismic regions, such as in many Balkan countries and Cyprus, it is necessary to consider the building constructions according to both EC2 and EC8 since they are related as far as the analysis and the requirements of the construction (consideration of multiple combinations of actions, need for axial overstrength of columns, capacity detailing under bending and shear, higher ratios of minimum reinforcements of structural elements etc.) are concerned.
Units of measurement »